03 November, 2015
Post By : David Lindner
Help us give a great Thanksgiving to local families!
We’re at it again! Turkey, turkey, turkey!
Why are we so crazy about turkeys? That’s a valid question. And no, there is no spiritual significance to the turkey. So, if you thought that was it, you’re mistaken. I guess there is that one verse in 2nd Revelation, thou shalt eat lots of turkey. But aside from that one, that’s about it!
It’s pretty simple really. Dignity. We believe to be treated with dignity and respect because they are made in God’s image. If you’ve ever needed food assistance, you know how it feels. I’ve been there, I know exactly how it feels. We treat people with dignity, not matter what they are going through. Your stage of life does not determine your value, the fact that you are made in God’s image is what gives you value.
Is there something magical about a turkey? No. But Maybe. Kind of.
We happen to think that giving someone a turkey is just enough over the top of the normal expectation that it can take someone to another level. Sometimes, all it takes is one small act of kindness to help push you out of the rut you’ve been stuck in for a long time. And if we can help someone feel a little more dignified, if we can help someone raise their head a little higher and put their shoulders back a little further simply by giving them a turkey, isn’t it worth it?
And let’s be honest, most of us can afford it. We can afford a turkey for our family and for another family. In fact, you may be able to provide a turkey for several families. If you knew buying a turkey for someone could change the trajectory of their life, wouldn’t you do it?
Last year, we were blessed to be able to distribute 263 turkeys. 1.68 tons of turkey. It was like watching a miracle unfold. You could see the joy in people’s eyes. You could see a lift in their spirit. Most were thankful. Some were tearful. So, in a way, yes, turkey is kind of magical. This year, we are anticipating 500 households. It sounds like a lot because it is a lot. So, we’re going to need some magic to make the magic happen!
It takes a lot of help to make this happen. I’ll be honest, we are a pretty small church. We can’t afford to buy turkeys for that many people. We couldn’t do it last year, we won’t be able to do it this year. Not on our own.
But, with your help, we can make a big difference in the lives of hundreds of families. With your help, we can give hundreds of households something to be truly joyful and thankful for on Thanksgiving day. With your help, we can lift someone’s spirits, and maybe, just maybe help change someone’s life.
Would you consider helping us?
How can you help?
- Commit to buying a turkey or a number of turkeys. Lots of stores have sales to get some turkey for cheap in the next couple of weeks. Watch for a sale, and jump on it.
- Get some people to team up with you. We’re looking for people to team up and buy 5 turkeys. Maybe you can get people in your office to join you. Maybe you and a few neighbors can team up. Maybe you and your extended family can chip in.
- Spread the word. We need to get the word out to as many people as possible. The nature of Tons of Turkey is a bit hurried because it’s not until close to Thanksgiving that sales and deals start to come out. So, we have to tag team this thing with as many voices as possible. Will you help get the word out?
- Donate funds toward turkey. Click this link: (https://68church.com/ministries-2/online-giving/). Click in the box that says “tithe” and select “Tons of Turkey. Your donation will go towards buying turkeys to distribute the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.
- Help us Distribute. If you would like to see the difference your gift is making, join us that night to help distribute turkeys and bring a little hope and dignity to those who receive. If you’re interested in that, be sure to contact us so we can plan for you to be here.